Your role is whatever your daughter needs from you and whatever you are comfortable with. These are things you and your daughter will want to talk over before the baby arrives. Ideally, she should initiate these conversations, but if she doesn’t, here are some questions you can ask:
- What is your plan for childcare when you go back to work after the birth?
- How do you plan to juggle school and childcare?
- What is the baby’s father going to contribute to childcare?
- How are you going to provide for the baby? Are there expenses you’re not sure if you can cover?
- What do you expect from me/us (as your parents)?
- What is your plan for childcare when you want to go hang out with friends/do something social?
- Do you plan to move out and get your own place or stay at home? (If that is an option.)
Now, there are many more questions that are going to come up, but if you clear some of the things above up with her before the due date, you are less likely to come to misunderstandings after the birth. To not make it sound like an interrogation, try to space these questions out.